In Toronto, the Commercial Space Blog will be sponsoring a Yuri's Night Party at the Polish Combatants' Hall, 206 Beverley Street in Toronto, Ontario on Wednesday, April 12th, 2017 from 7pm - 11pm.
Join Commercial Space Media authors and journalists for an evening of dancing, romancing, thrills and chills leavened with history, science and future speculation.
Our international themed evening will feature:
• Soviet and international popular music from the 1950s to the present day.
• Delectable eastern European themed munchies including:
• Cream cheese and potato stuffed perogies (two pieces per serving)
• Bigos, a wonderful Polish dish of finely chopped meat stewed with sauerkraut and shredded fresh cabbage (one sample cup per portion)
• Assorted mini quiches (one piece per serving)
• Mini-canapes with herrings and egg (one piece per serving)
• Crispy cups stuffed with ham salad (one piece per serving)
• Eggs with smoked salmon (one piece per serving)
• Vodka for the Proletariat!! A cash bar, door prizes and terrific swag!
• Doorprizes including:
• One free admission to the 2017 Canadian Space Summit, Canada's leading conference devoted to space science, research and technology. With an annual attendance of approximately 150 (and growing), the Summit brings together space professionals from industry, academia, government and the military as well as enthusiasts from all walks of life. Valued at $490CDN from the Canadian Space Society.
• A one year membership with the Canadian Space Society (CSS), a national non-profit organization made up of professionals and enthusiasts pursuing the human exploration and development of space and supporting the Canadian space community. Valued at $75CDN from the Canadian Space Society.
• Four warm, comfy and stylish "ushanka" Russian faux fur caps with ear flaps that can be tied up to the crown of the cap, or fastened at the chin to protect the ears, jaw and lower chin from the cold. Just the thing to brave the winter weather. Valued at $55CDN each from Nick's Sports Shop & Central Surplus and The Commercial Space Blog.
• Two complimentary individual passes to the Ontario Science Centre (OSC). The OSC not only develops and sources the world's best interactive science and technology exhibitions; it also aims to make a fundamental difference in the lives of visitors by providing them the skills and attributes to create a better future for the planet. Valued at $22CDN each.
• A selection of space and science books from the world's premier space book company, Apogee Books. Apogee's extensive book list encompasses space history, biography, NASA mission reports and explorations of the connections between science, space and popular culture. Valued at between $10 - $30CDN each from Apogee Books.
• Introductions from the Canadian Space Society (CSS), the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada (Toronto Centre) and other space and academic organizations.
• A discussion (with audience participation) on Project Voyager, a "Space Mission Simulator" with more than a passing resemblance to the Kerbal Space Program.
• Special overviews on "Canada's 150 Years of Aerospace History," and upcoming opportunities to explore international centres of space science excellence, both on the Earth and "in Spaaaaaaace."
• Connections to other Yuri's Nights being celebrated around the world, via satellite and internet.
Who can attend: Everyone
Fee: $35.00, $27.00 (students)
Organized by: The Commercial Space Blog
Location: Polish Combatants' Hall, 206 Beverley St, Toronto, ON M5T 1Z3